How To Trim Men's Eyebrows: The Four Step Guide To Perfect Brows
1. How to create your eyebrow shape.
2. Tips to clean up your eyebrows.
3. Advice on maintaining eyebrows.
Sideburns are trimmed, facial hair on point, and of course, the hair game is locked down. However, it seems as though we’re forgetting something. People notice your eyebrows. It may be subtle, or right up in their face. Either way, follow this step by step men's eyebrow guide to getting perfect eyebrows, and set yourself apart!
Step One: Brush Them Out
For most of us, our eyebrows tend to lay pretty flat. Awesome news for our everyday appearance, but not so much when it comes to trimming. It’s important to brush them out in order to get a true idea of length, and which hairs need to be removed. A mustache comb is a great tool for the job. Gently brush your eyebrows up so that all hairs point towards your forehead. Seeing an accurate volume, length, and positioning is key for the shaping process.
Step Two: Create Your Shape
Now that we can see exactly what we’re working with, it’s time to take shape. Using a comb as a guide is the best tool for the job, and a high-quality trimmer is key. You’ll be using the comb and some facial landmarks to make sure your brows not only look great, but stay proportionate and natural looking. Important! This is the most crucial step in the process. Take your time. It is very easy to go overboard here, and no one wants to be the dude with no eyebrows. Go slow, be steady, look amazing.
- The start of your brow should line up with the center of your nostril. Take your comb and hold it vertically in the center of your nostril. Use your trimmer to remove any hair that lies medial to the comb.
- Next set the height, or peek, of the brow. Using your comb make a diagonal guide line that goes from the outer portion of your nostril to the iris of your eye. Where the comb touches your brow should be the highest point on your forehead the brow goes. Use your trimmer to remove anything above this point.
- Lastly create an endpoint to your brow. Using your comb, create a diagonal guide line extending from your outer nostril to the most natural endpoint of the brow. Use your trimmer to remove anything outside the line.
Don't forget to grab a high-quality trimmer. Not only will it save you time, but will also give you pain free precision. A win-win in our books!
Step 3: Turn Down the Volume
Volume is amazing when it comes to your hair, not so much for your brow though. It’s important to have a nice even length to your brow. No one wants to be noticed for extremely bushy brows. Using your comb, again brush the brow towards your forehead to lift the hair follicles to their maximum height. Using your trimmer and a guard, carefully shave with the grain to achieve a nice even length. Pro tips:
- MAKE SURE YOU ARE USING A GUARD! Nobody wants to accidently shave their eyebrow off, that will make for a pretty rough day. A size 3 guard is a great place to start, leaving your brow at a 3/8” length, or 10mm. You can always step down to a 2 if you want them to be a bit shorter, but it’s better to start with a longer length. Remember, when it’s gone…it’s gone.
- For many of you shaving with the grain may seem like the wrong move, and when it comes to shaving your face and body, you are correct. However, eyebrows are a completely different beast. Shaving with the grain will ensure that no hairs accidently get pulled out. Eyebrows is one spot you definitely don’t want accidental bald spots.
Step 4: The Clean Up
Now that you’ve defined your shape and length, it’s time for one last clean up. Using a high-quality pair of tweezers, carefully pluck the loose hairs that lay outside of your new shape. Again, pluck with the grain, this will reduce irritation and most importantly, will be less painful. Also, make sure your tweezers are clean! This will reduce the chance of the follicle becoming infected when it inevitably returns.
Congratulations, you now have the best eyebrows on the block! Styling is a breeze. Simply use your finger to brush your brow flat after your shower. After following our four-step guide, your brow game is truly a set it…and forget it affair.
Don't Forget To Check Out:
The Men's Guide To Legendary Sideburns
Should Men Shave Their Armpits?
← Older Post Newer Post →