Ah, the pube and balls shave. A dreaded necessity that no guy looks forward to. The skin down below is super-thin and sensitive, and the coarse strands are especially prone to ingrown hairs. At the same time, tons of dudes want to master the manscaped look because, of course, it makes your junk look bigger, and who doesn’t want that? Plus, a little bit of below the belt grooming can make you feel cleaner and make life way more enjoyable for the spicy señoritas when they’re doing their thing.
But as long as your shaving arsenal is stocked and your skills are sharpened, there’s no reason to fear the junk shave. Follow our instructions below for a perfectly manscaped result without the lumps, bumps and cuts.
Gear You’re Gonna Need
Gentlemen, we’re begging you–Do not go shaving down below with whatever random odds and ends you’ve got lying around the bathroom. You’re gonna need some high-quality shave products and the right equipment for your equipment. A dull razor, the wrong kind of shaving cream or a lack of follow-up could turn a simple shave into a razor burned, nicked-up disaster, so be smart and use the good stuff.
- Some hydrating pre-shave oil that seeps into skin and nourishes deeply and creates a slick surface to prevent razor burn.
- A super-lubricating, translucent shaving cream to add a cushion and so you can see exactly what you’re working with down below.
- An electric trimmer to get rid of some of the extra length before you dive in and closely shave any short hairs.
- A quality safety razor - it helps you get closer to the skin and has only a single blade to prevent drag that causes irritation and dryness.
- A soothing aftershave balm that protects your just-shaved skin from becoming inflamed, red and irritated.
A Step-by-Step Guide to Shaving Your Balls & Pubic Hair
- Step 1: Pray—If it makes you feel better, go ahead and send one up to the pube-shaving gods for a little bit of extra protection.
- Step 2: Trim—Bust out your trimmer and prep the area by trimming off a good chunk of the bush before you dive in with a razor. This helps ensure that you have total visibility and don’t miss any important areas. Take your time, trimming in small sections starting at the bottom and working your way up to the stomach.
- Step 3: Shower—Whatever you do, do not skip this step! A hot shower or bath is vital in the shaving process because it softens the skin and hair, allowing you to get a closer shave. It also rinses off any fresh clippings that could get in your way while you’re trying to work. Don’t rush it! Keep the skin submerged in warm water for a couple of minutes before beginning to ensure that it reaches peak softness.
- Step 4: Apply Pre-Shave—Who needs prayers when you’ve got a good pre-shave oil? Seriously, this stuff is a miracle worker for shaving your most sensitive spots, especially down below. Apply generously in the area where you want to shave and let it absorb into the skin before busting out your razor.
- Step 5: Shave—Generously apply shave cream that you can see through, creating a layer of cream about a millimeter thick on top of the areas where you want to shave. Holding the skin taut with one hand and taking it extra-slow with the other, lightly shave in the direction that the hair grows. Rinse the razor with every pass and, when completely done shaving, rinse the body with warm water.
- Step 6: Shave Your Balls—You don’t want to skip this step, especially if you’re going for the neat and tidy look. The golden rule of ball-shaving is to always hold the skin taut so there are no wrinkles or curves that could catch skin or cause cuts. You may also want to get into a good position by sitting down so that you can reach all those tough angles. The toilet is a great option if you don’t have a seat in the shower.
- Step 7: Rinse with Cool Water—Make sure you give your junk a good rinse in cool water after you’re done shaving to soothe the skin and close the pores. This will also help prevent any ingrown hairs or irritation.
- Step 8: Apply Aftershave—You’re not done yet, boys! Last but not least, make sure to coat the area with an alcohol-free aftershave to moisten the skin without drying it out and to heal and protect irritated skin.
Daily Rear Maintenance
Now, even though you might not shave everyday, that doesn't mean you should neglect giving your boys a little daily maintenance. Here's a few quick tips to make sure you're always fresh, comfortable and clean.
- Shower Routine - There are a few areas that some guys tend to overlook in their shower routine. Hair, chest, armpits; all pretty standard. But, don't neglect the rest. Our feet, backs, butts, and yes... the boys need a good rinse as well. Loofah up, and give the boys a much needed wash.
- Powder Up - Areas like your groin are prone to sweat, and therefore; prone to stink! Grab yourself an amazing body powder and apply to dry skin directly after your shower. It's a quick and easy way to make sure you stay dry all day long. Not only that, it protects the body from chafing and irritation for long-lasting, all-day comfort!
- Wet Wipes For The Win - We're going to keep this one short and sweet gents. Toilet paper alone, just doesn't cut it. So grab yourself a pack of wipes, and make sure to eliminate what the toilet paper may have left behind. Experience a new level of fresh and clean. You deserve it.
Shave Your Balls Like a Boss
Although you’ve got to master your steady hand and learn how to take it slow, you also need to make sure you shave with confidence when you’re dealing with the super-sensitive pube region. The skin down there is like dogs and snakes—it can smell fear. But as long as you go into any shave sesh ready to get the job done and with the know how to do it right, you can count on a smooth, sexy result.
You Might Also Like To Check Out: