How To Fix A Patchy Beard: Tips To Get A Full Beard
1. Why do you have a patchy beard?
2. How to fix a patchy beard.
3. Guide to beard maintenance & routine.
For many men, the patchy beard struggle is very real, and can be very annoying. Why won’t it just grow in right or even at all? A question sadly many of us ponder frequently. But not to fear! Day dream of having a full, luscious, legendary beard no more. Follow these simple beard tips to turn your beard dreams into reality.
Why Do You Have A Patchy Beard?
Quick science lesson or feel free to skip! Now, there are quite a few factors that can be the culprit of your patchy beard situation. However, most likely, you can blame your patchy beard on genetics, as your beard hair thickness is primarily decided by your DNA. You see, androgens are hormones that affect your ability to grow facial hair. These androgens convert testosterone into another hormone called dihydrotestosterone or DHT. It is DHT that is responsible for your facial hair growth, and its strength is determined by your hair follicles’ sensitivity to it. Put simply, your genetics determine how sensitive your hair follicles are to the DHT hormone, and thus, how full and amazing your beard looks.
How Do You Fix A Patchy Beard?
While there is unfortunately little you can do about your genetics, there are a few tips and tricks to help you cheat the proverbial system, and kick that beard thickness into overdrive. Let’s begin!
Give it Time: Try to be patient with your beard, with time it will grow. We recommend four weeks to really just let your beard go, and see what you’re really working with. When it comes to patchy areas, your beard will always start to grow the most dominant hair follicles first, and then begin to fill the patchy areas after those dominant areas have grown out. By constantly shaving, you will ensure those patchy areas never get a chance to really flourish and show their true potential. Trust the process. Four weeks of unhindered growth can go a long way, and will give you a much more accurate representation of what you have to work with.
Use Beard Balm or Beard Oil: Beard balms and oils both promote proper beard growth by keeping your beard healthy and moisturized. They serve as a conditioner that will moisturize your beard and can make it look fuller and softer. Not only that, beard balms and oils help keep the often-neglected skin under your beard healthy and hydrated too. This not only promotes improved facial hair growth, but also eliminates any issues you may have with beard flakes, in-grown beard hairs, and most importantly, the annoying itch that comes with the beard growth process. As an added bonus, they even give your beard a cool, fresh scent for when the spicy senoritas come in close. Need we say more?
Try a Shorter Beard Style: Patchiness is much more noticeable with longer beard styles. So, if you’re struggling with a patchy beard, give that bad boy a trim to give it a much fuller look. A great beard comb and scissor set will go a long way to keep your beard high and tight to give it a freshly groomed and healthy appearance. Leaving your patchy areas just a bit longer than the rest is another great way to make your beard look fuller and more luscious than it may actually be.
Pro Tip: Pair your grooming and scissor kit up with the brand-new Stubble Buddy to keep that sink clean after each trim, and never get in stubble trouble again!
Brush that Beard: Brushing your beard not only keeps it looking tamer and well-kept, but it can also promote hair growth by massaging the hair follicles and stimulating blood circulation to certain areas of your face. Increased blood flow leads to healthy skin and hair follicles to not only promote hair growth, but give your beard a healthy and vibrant glow that will show the world you’re a man who treats his beard right. A great military style brush is key to stimulating hair growth, as the increased number of bristles typically found in these brushes is perfect for maximizing blood flow and follicle stimulation, but will also give your beard an amazingly well-kept look without showing any defined comb or brush lines that may be left behind by other brushes.
Stay Healthy: A proper diet, exercise, and sleep all can all improve your beard hair growth. If you are really trying to do everything you can to grow a beard, you should be eating balanced meals, exercising regularly, and getting 7 or more hours of sleep every night. Our bodies are finely tuned machines. So, make sure to keep yours running strong. It will not only lead to better beard hair growth, but will enhance your body as a whole!
Take Biotin Supplements: Biotin supplements are B vitamins that can help stimulate hair growth. Specifically, it stimulates keratin production in hair which can increase the rate of follicle growth. A once daily Biotin supplement is a quick and easy way to ensure that your beard is getting all the nutrients it needs to reach its full potential. As an added bonus, Biotin supplements will also improve the health of your skin and nails. Three birds with one stone? Sign us up please!
Beard Care Maintenance
Now growing a full looking and amazing beard may be challenging, but just know, it’s only half the battle. Once you’ve toppled the obstacle of getting yourself a great beard, you have to put in the work to maintain it and keep it looking truly Bueno! Here’s a quick recap on what to do once that full on lumberjack beard you’ve been hoping for finally arrives.
- Keep It Clean: Beards can harbor a surprising number of germs and bacteria, and thus need to be cleaned regularly. Don’t skip out on taking care of your beard in your shower routine. Remember, beard hair is still hair, so treat it as such. A great shampoo and conditioner are a must when it comes to beard maintenance. You’re already shampooing and conditioning your hair, so just move those suds down to your beard as well. It’s a process that takes very little time, yet yields huge rewards. We promise, your beard will thank you.
- Trim Your Neckline: Neglecting your neckline is a surefire way to ruin a perfectly good beard. The only exception is if you’re rocking some sexy stubble, in which case, you have roughly a month or so until you need to begin tidying things up. Establishing your neckline is super-simple and could be the difference between having a so-so beard, or a truly epic one. An easy guide is to take your finger and place it on top of your Adam’s apple. Anything below your finger trim, anything above you will leave. And that’s it! It’s a super simple way to keep your beard looking amazing, and set you apart from the pack.
- Trim Your Cheek Lines: Having a legendary beard is awesome. Having one that goes up to your eyeballs, not so much. Remember one of the keys to a great beard is that it should complement and frame your face nicely. So, keep your cheek lines looking sharp and defined to give your face and jawline a nice, chiseled look. To find your cheek lines, draw an imaginary line from the top of your sideburn to the corner of your lower lip. Everything above this line should be shaved with a razor or a beard trimmer. If you’re not comfortable using an imaginary line to trim your cheek area, you can always use a beard stencil to shape your beard instead.
That’s it gents! Everything you need to know to have that truly full looking, luscious beard you’ve been dreaming of. Remember, with great beard comes great responsibility. So, treat your beard right, and it will do the same for you.
← Older Post Newer Post →