Did you know shampooing too often can actually damage your hair? It’s true, however there’s a sure-fire way to make sure your hair is not only clean, but hangs on tight to the oils and nutrients it needs to stay healthy, and on your head. Here’s why it might be time to start shampooing less, and conditioning more! Trust us on this one, your hair will thank you.
Why Use Conditioner?
Let's start with this...yes, you need to use a conditioner!
There’s no denying that a great shampoo will not only clean your hair, but leave it fresh and smelly amazing. However, even with the absolute best shampoos, natural oils in your hair and scalp will be lost in the process. Here is where a great conditioner comes in, the benefits of which are substantial. These benefits include:
- Restore natural oils which are vital to your hair and scalps overall health.
- Coats the hair follicles with a protective layer that smooths, thickens, and preserves all day long.
- Replenish the moisture that shampooing strips away.
- Recover from heat damage, caused by blow dryers and other culprits.
How Often Should You Use Conditioner?
The all-important question, do you have to condition daily? The quick answer is no, but the amount you will need to condition is all based on the length of your hair. New growth, hair near the scalp, won’t require too much moisturizing or restoration. If your hair is longer though, you really need to pay attention to the ends of the strands. This will be the part of the hair that is most prone to getting damaged and dried out. So, if your hair is short, conditioning around five times a week will do you just fine. If your hair is long however, conditioning every day is recommended. The great thing about conditioner is that it’s nearly impossible to over moisturize your hair, but be on the lookout for these warning signs you might be going at it too hard.
- Lack of volume
- Excessive shine or glossiness
- Difficulty styling with heat
If any of these signs occur, scale your condition routine back just a tad until you find what works best for you.
How to Use Conditioner – The Easy Three Step Routine
- After completely rinsing out your shampoo, grab your conditioner and get to work. The amount you’ll need will again depend on length. For short hair a dime sized amount should be enough. If you’re rocking a majestic mane, step it up to quarter size. The key is to make sure that your hair is completely coated from root to tip. Start with less and work your way up until you find the amount that’s just right for you.
- Grab your shampoo brush and begin to massage the conditioner in. The brush is a great way to make sure you’re not leaving your scalp unattended, as it too reaps the benefits of a great conditioner. Keep in mind conditioner does not hold the same consistency as a shampoo, it’s much thicker. So, if you feel like you’re having a hard time spreading it out, simply dip your head back under the shower for a second to apply a little water to your hair. This will help to make sure you get a nice even coat.
- Once completely coated, it’s time to let it sit! Don’t rinse it out immediately. You have to give it time to marinate. It’s important that all the vitamins, nutrients, and essential oils from the conditioner have time to work their way into the follicles. While you wait, grab your favorite body wash and loofah and wash your body. This will be plenty of time for the conditioner to work its magic. Then one last rinse will have you showered up and on your way.
Next Level Hair Care
If you really want to take your moisturizing to the next level, don’t be afraid to introduce an Argan Oil into your routine. With its high concentration of antioxidants, essential fatty acids, and vitamin E, Argan oil is the perfect side kick to any great conditioning routine. It will naturally help to increase your hair’s elasticity, restore shine, and protect against damage and split ends. Due to it’s amazing concentration, Argan oil only needs to be applied once or twice a week, not every time you condition.
If you’re not a conditioner guy we hope we’ve turned you into a believer. The look and feel of well-conditioned hair will not go unnoticed. Not to mention, it’s no secret that us Gents would like to keep our hair around as long as possible, so take good care of it while you’ve got it!
SECRET PASSWORD: DON'T FORGET TO CONDITION!
Also Check Out: