Time for some fun in the sun? Not so fast. Make sure you’re ready for the hazards the summer heat will throw at you this season. Follow these summer grooming tips to make sure you’re not only looking amazing, but you’re protected as well.
Summer Hair Care Tips
- Get A Trim: Cutting your hair regularly (every 2-4 weeks), even if it is just a trim, is a great way to keep your hair looking healthy throughout the summer months. The heat from the sun dries your hair out, especially towards the ends of the follicles. Meaning the longer your hair is, the more prone you are to dryness, cracked follicles, and split ends. Not to mention, cutting your hair shorter will also keep you much cooler with the temperatures outside rising, will require less maintenance, and won’t take forever to dry after a quick dip in the pool.
- Use A Conditioner: Conditioners can help to bring back the moisture into your sun damaged hair. They even help protect it from future damage. Regardless of hair type or texture, using a daily conditioner is key to healthy summer hair.
- Give Your Shampoo A Rest: DO NOT shampoo every day, trust us. You can give your hair a rinse in water on the days without shampoo, and that should work just fine. On shampoo days it’s important to use a shampoo specifically designed with hair hydration in mind. A great hydrating shampoo will contain Argan Oil to help keep your hair hydrated and protected in the summer heat.
- Using A Wide Tooth Comb: Specific combs have specific uses. Using a wide tooth comb instead of your regular hair brush will be the best option to detangle and style, while still be sensitive enough to not break or damage hair follicles that may be in a weakened state from the summer climate.
- Protect Your Color: Color-treated hair needs even more care throughout the summer. The sun will make your color fade and can also lead to a lot of damage and dryness because of the chemicals in the treatments. If your hair is recently dyed, try to keep it covered when in direct sunlight.
- Avoid Added Heat: Because your hair is already in greater danger of sun or heat damage during the summer, try to avoid tools that use heat, yes, we’re talking about blow dryers. It’s the summer! Let your hair air dry if possible. If a blow dryer is an absolute must to achieve your look, make sure you’re using a heat protection spray. It’s also great to use when you know you’ll be spending a lot of time in the sun!
No shirt, no shoes, no problem. But be aware, parts of your body that were regularly covered in the colder months will be on full display. So, if body hair isn’t for you, make sure you’re properly groomed. Back hair, chest hair, armpit hair, and yes even the boys might be due for a trim. Get your trimmer and go to town if body hair isn’t the look you’re going for this season. If you want to be as smooth as possible, grab yourself a great safety razor, and make sure you’re as smooth as silk.
Summer Shaving & Beard Care
Just like the hair on your head, the hair on your face, and more importantly the skin underneath is way more prone to dryness and irritation in the summer heat. If you’re rocking an amazing beard, beard oils and balms are a must to keeping things hydrated. If you shave frequently, aftershave balm is your go too. Regardless of facial hair length or style, hydration is the key to looking amazing this season. While we’re on the topic, don’t forget about clean up. Stubble in the sink is definitely no Bueno, and the mess from manscaping, even worse. Grab yourself a Stubble Buddy, and make cleaning up a breeze.
Summer Foot Care
Summer weather means it’s time for sandals. This also means your feet will be on full display. People notice your feet, especially if they’re not up to par. Using a foot file is a great way to eliminate the calluses that build up, along with any unsightly dry patches of skin. Your toenails ought not be neglected either. Grab yourself a great manicure kit and make sure they are trimmed; same goes for your fingernails. If you suffer from yellowing of the nails, it’s time to bring them back to their former glory. Baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, and OTC Antifungal Nail Creams are all great treatments for yellow nails, but if you want some in-depth advice, we’ve got the article for you here.
Summer Shower Routine
Is it hot in here or what? Increased temperatures mean increased sweat. Not to mention the possibility of damage from chlorine, sun rays, and more. If you’re experience some excessive sweating, you may need to up you shower routine. Remember to keep the water temperature low to avoid doing more damage to skin and hair.
Pro Tip: Grab yourself a Mint Body Wash. Its cooling effect is perfect for that summer heat!
While woodsy fragrances work well in fall and winter, the summer months are all about the fresh and floral scents. This is because the sun intensifies scents which might make that wood-based fragrances a bit overpowering. Citrus based fragrances with just a hint of spice are perfect for any summer occasion. Don’t forget to keep a travel sprayer close by. Frequent cool downs in pool will require some reapplication.
Summer Skin Care
Sunburns cause a lot of damage to your skin because of the dangerous UVA and UVB rays. So, before walking outside this summer, make sure you have already applied your broad spectrum sunscreen to your face and body. Also, make sure you’re staying hydrated. Your skin needs hydration or else it will become dry and tight. With the increased exposure to sun, sweating, and cocktails, it is really easy to get dehydrated. For added protection, a once daily biotin supplement is an easy way to make sure your hair, skin, and nails stay looking healthy and hydrated.
We're all ready for some fun in the sun this season. But make sure to follow these summer grooming tips to make sure you're the best looking guy hanging poolside.
Make Sure To Check Out: