If you rocked a side part in middle school (and were mercilessly teased for it), we’d like to give you a slow clap. The haters may have laughed back then, but little did they know that the classic side part would make the comeback of the century. Now, stylish dudes such as Tom Hardy and Ryan Reynolds are going around sporting a sleek side part—which YOU rocked in grade school. How ’bout that?
Of course, your grade school side part probably wasn’t all your doing (thanks, mom). If you want to give your little kid comb-over a grown-up vibe, it’s time to learn how to part your hair for men the right way. Lucky for you, we have all the tips and tricks you need to master the art of the part.
How to Find Your Part for Men
Knowing how to part hair for men starts with finding your ideal part. How do you do that? Don’t worry, it’s simple. Here are a few different ways to help you find—or create—a part.
1. The Post-Shower Head Shake
The first method is super simple. Start by hopping in the shower and washing your hair with your go-to shampoo and conditioner. Once you’re all clean, step out and gently towel dry your hair.
Then, give your head a little shake. Notice where your hair naturally starts to fall? That split is where your natural part is.
2. The Direction of Your Cowlick
You know that weird tuft of hair on the back of your head? The small section of hair that seems to grow at an odd angle? That’s a cowlick. Although cowlicks can be extremely annoying, you can actually use this wayward tuft of hair to determine which side of your head you should part your hair.
All you need to do is part your hair in the direction of the cowlick. For example, let’s say that your cowlick spiral runs clockwise. In that case, your hair will part naturally on the left. If your cowlick runs counterclockwise, your hair will part naturally on the right.
3. The Tried-and-True Comb Trick
This next tip involves using a comb to part your hair however you please, regardless of which way it naturally falls. We know what you’re thinking: Why would I want to fight the natural way of things? The simple answer is because parting your hair on the opposite side can actually enhance the volume (and because you’re a rebel).
To evenly part your hair in the opposite direction, take a slick comb and line it up horizontally with your nose. Tilt the comb at an angle so that it lines up with the arch of your eyebrow. Follow that line with your comb, and voila! You now have your new part.
How to Style a Side Part
The side part has made a huge comeback as of late, and for good reason. This timeless hairstyle is simple, sexy and sophisticated—and we all know how much the spicy senoritas appreciate a sophisticated gentleman.
The side part also lends itself well to a variety of different face shapes and hair types. Best of all, it’s ridiculously easy to do! With a few men’s hair products and a little know-how, you can start sporting this classic men’s hairstyle with aplomb. Here’s how to get the look.
- Start with Clean Hair—First, get in the shower and wash your hair. Starting with clean hair is key to achieving the perfect side part.
- Add a Pre-Styler—After towel drying hair, use a pre-styler like our SALT sea spray to give hair more volume and texture.
- Part Hair with a Comb—Take a slick comb and use it to part your hair to the side. Pull hair across to one side and back if you’re going for a quiff hairstyle. Otherwise, just pull it directly across in a classic, comb-over style.
- Set Hair with a Blow Dryer—Next, hit it with a blow dryer at an angle, pointing the blow dryer upwards to create definition and to set your part into place. Use the comb to reinforce your part.
- Finish with Product—Finally, finish your look with a styling product to ensure that your side part stays in place. Depending on the look you’re going for, you can use a hair styling clay (medium hold, no shine), a hair paste (medium hold, mid-shine) or a classic pomade (medium hold, high shine) to achieve all-day sexy hold. It’s up to you!
Knowing how to part hair for men doesn’t need to be rocket science, gentlemen. With these styling tips, you can easily achieve a sexy and sophisticated side part that exudes timeless, masculine style. And if all this sounds daunting, you can always ask your barber to show you how to part your hair for men. With a little assistance and direction, you’ll be rocking the seductive side part in no time.