When it comes to hair-washing, it seems like the rule should be the more the merrier, right? Maybe for some people—like dudes who sweat for a living or work in super-dirty environments—but for most of us, there comes a point when it’s too much washing for your scalp’s own good. The question of how often men should wash their hair is a hotly debated one, but we’re here to set the record straight so you get on the right schedule for you.
Answer: Less Often Than You Think
While there’s definitely no simple answer to this question, one thing’s for sure: More than likely, you’re doing a little bit too much washing or you’re washing with the wrong shampoo. Overwashing can lead to a bunch of issues that may be leading to bad hair. Irritation, dryness, grease. You may be able to blame it all on excessive washing.
Yep, over-cleansing actually causes greasy hair. It sounds insane, but it’s actually true. The more you wash and condition with the wrong products, the more you strip the natural oils from your strands and the more oil your scalp produces. An oily scalp can cause a whole bunch of annoying issues, including irritation and low self-confidence.
The mantra work smarter, not harder totally applies to hair care for dudes. Using a higher-quality product that provides gentle hydration, such as our Argan Oil Shampoo, will help you cleanse without creating excess oil and causing serious greasiness. The thing is, you also don’t want a shampoo that dries your scalp out too much and causes weak, dry strands and dandruff. Go for a well-balanced shampoo made specifically for men.
Here’s the thing, though. If you go from daily washing to washing a couple of times per week, you’re going to have to suffer through some greasy hair, but only at first. There’s such a thing as “training” your hair to wash it less and be less greasy, and it takes a couple of periods of waiting it out to get to the ideal place (hats are your friend during this period). Over time, your hair will produce less grease so you can wash it less.
Another Answer: It Depends
OK, now that we know we’ve probably all done a bit too much lathering for our own good, let’s get down to specifics. The truth is that how often you wash your hair really comes down to two things: what your hair goes through every day and what type of hair you have.
- If You Work in an Office…wash your hair three to four times a week to stimulate the scalp and cleanse the strands.
- If You’re an Athlete…wash your hair after nearly every work out to ensure that your scalp doesn’t harbor sweat and bacteria that could cause irritation, infection and blemishes. But, make sure you use a conditioner every time too to rehydrate.
- If You Work at a Restaurant…wash your hair nearly every day to ensure that you don’t smell like a greasy kitchen and that you don’t look gross or dirty when people are trying to eat.
- If You Work Outside…wash your hair nearly every day if you’re exposed to dirt and sweat. Make sure to wear a hat to protect your head and scalp from UV damage, which could lead to serious issues.
- If You Have Dandruff…wash your hair nearly every day using tea tree oil shampoo and/or use a dandruff treatment to stimulate the scalp and remove the dead skin and oil buildup that causes those stubborn white flakes.
- If Your Hair Is Naturally Greasy…wash your hair four or five times per week. Try dropping down how often you wash your hair by one time per week until your hair is “trained” to be less oily.
- If Your Hair Is Naturally Dry…wash your hair every other day to get the ideal amount of hydration without overdrying. Definitely use a conditioner too!
- If You’re Balding or Thinning…wash your hair two or three times per week to ensure that the scalp is getting the proper nutrients but to prevent breaking or damaging the existing strands.
- If You Smoke…definitely wash your hair every day.
Experiment and Find a Good Rhythm
To put it simply, overwashing your hair is definitely a thing, and it may be worsening your locks with every scalp scrub. But there’s not a one-size-fits-all answer to the question of how often to wash your hair. You’ve got to do some experimentation for yourself to find that nice happy medium where you’ve got mucho Bueno Hair without all the annoying stuff that comes with over-cleansing. No matter what though, be sure to tag-team your shampoo with an awesome conditioner.
You Might Also Want To Check Out: