Given that beards of all sorts are totally in style and not likely to go away anytime soon, it’s not surprising that there are a ton of amazing new beard products popping onto the scene. Two of our faves are beard balm and beard oil, both of which are designed to enhance the facial hair in a number of ways. They do have a couple of key differences, though, and knowing them can help ensure that you get the best beard care essentials for your specific beard and preferences, no matter what they may be.
Beard Balm and Beard Oil Similarities
Before we talk about the differences between these two grooming game-changers, let’s go over a few important similarities. Our beard balm and beard oil formulas are amazingly similar and both contain a nourishing mix of ingredients that smooth, soften and enhance the appearance of your beard. They’re also made to make your facial hair smell incredible. Both products are made to:
- Enhance the feeling of your beard by softening and hydrating strands, making it touchably smooth for you and your partner.
- Enhance the appearance of your beard by keeping fly-aways and scraggly strands neatly in place throughout the day and adding a gentle styling hold.
- Banish facial hair itchiness by delivering deep hydration into the hair and skin so you’re less likely to get beardruff and dry skin beneath your beard.
- Banish smelly beards forever by infusing some sexy but subtle fragrance into the hair that the spicy señoritas will definitely notice.
- Help stimulate beard growth by providing extreme moisture and nutrients to thirsty skin that hasn’t seen the sun in years.
What Is Beard Balm? Better for Styling
Beard balm is a putty-like substance designed to hydrate, shape and style your beard so it softens the strands and moisturizes the skin beneath. It offers a thicker texture than beard oil, meaning it’s better for shaping and styling your beard hair to keep it in place all day. Think of a good-quality beard balm like a leave-in conditioner for your beard. Choose beard balm instead of beard oil if you want:
- A stronger styling hold to keep your beard in place for longer.
- A fresh, masculine scent with notes of musk, mahogany and teak.
- A warm, woodsy scent with hints of cedar, bergamot and tobacco.
- A tamer that helps long beards look neater with fewer fly-aways.
What Is Beard Oil? Better for Hydration
As its name suggests, our woodsy beard oil is an oily substance that has a thinner, smoother and more liquid-like texture than beard balm. It brings a lot of the same benefits, though, especially the ability to deeply condition and soften both hair and skin.
Unlike balm, oil penetrates through the hair and skin deeply, so it’s a better choice for guys with moisture-zapped skin and hair where deep hydration is needed. It may also be the better choice for guys who experience dry, chapped skin in the winter. Choose beard oil instead of beard balm if you want:
- A smooth formula that smooths beard hair but provides no styling hold.
- Deep hydration that helps reduce itchiness, redness and irritation.
- A sexy, woodsy scent that reminds you of being outside.
- A simple treatment for beard dandruff and chin flakes.
Which One Should You Choose?
Deciding between beard balm and beard oil is a personal preference that will depend on your needs, wants and hair type. But, as a simple rule of thumb, you should go for a balm over an oil if you want to shape and style your face mane so the hairs stay put all day. You worked hard growing out that gorgeous beard and it belongs in the beard hall of fame, as far as we’re concerned! So be sure to keep it looking top-notch with these great beard products so you might as well grab both in our humble opinion!